When someone who is allergic to the fruit you use to make a cake with and he takes an allergy pill and eats some of the cake anyways it must be good cake right? That’s what happened when I would make a mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake. When my husband lived at home and they had a party at work he would ask me to make a mandarin orange cake for him to contribute to the party food. I usually didn’t mind. It’s an easy cake to make and it’s really good. The only bad thing is there usually weren’t any leftovers for him to bring home for me. Mandarin orange cake is also one of my grandpa’s favorite cakes, right on up the list with his pineapple upside down cake. No matter if you call it mandarin orange cake or pig pickin’ cake or orange pineapple cake it is a nice cake recipe to have on hand for any summer parties like Father’s Day.
I remember coming in to my grandma’s in the afternoon and I always scoped out what she had going on in the kitchen and what she had to eat in her fridge. On the days that I would find the mandarin orange cake in the fridge she could always count on me asking if I could have a slice. Nana never turned me down. She would always say “I don’t care, and bring your Papa a slice too, please?”
This cake is made with a boxed cake mix but still tastes just as good as my made from scratch cakes. None of my guys have ever complained or noticed the difference when I make my cakes.
1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
1 can (14 oz.) mandarin oranges- do not drain the juice!
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 (16 oz.) container of Cool Whip
1 (20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple
1 (5.1 oz.) box of vanilla flavored instant pudding mix
*optional* 1 cup of shredded coconut flakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (2) 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. I use Baker’s Joy non stick spray with flour for all of my cake baking. In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, oranges with all of the juice, eggs and oil with an electric stand or hand mixer. Pour the batter in to the two cake pans trying to make sure both pans end up with about the same amount of batter in each so you don’t end up with an uneven cake. Bake the cakes for about 30 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 15 minutes then out of the pans on wire racks until completely cooled.
For the cake icing mix the crushed pineapple and instant pudding mix in a mixing bowl with a mixer. Then with a spatula or large spoon gently mix in the cool whip so that the whip doesn’t go flat and get runny. If you choose to have the coconut in the icing you’ll add that to the icing mix now as well. Icing your bottom layer of cake and stack the second layer on and cover the entire cake with the cool whip icing. Because of the cool whip you’ll want to keep this cake refrigerated.
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 1 can (14 oz.) mandarin oranges- do not drain the juice!
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 (16 oz.) container of Cool Whip
- 1 (20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple
- 1 (5.1 oz.) box of vanilla flavored instant pudding mix
- *optional* 1 cup of shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (2) 8 or 9 inch round cake pans or (1) 9x13 pan if you prefer single layer cake squares. I use Baker’s Joy non stick spray with flour for all of my cake baking.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, oranges with all of the juice, eggs and oil with an electric stand or hand mixer.
- Pour the batter in to the two cake pans trying to make sure both pans end up with about the same amount of batter in each so you don’t end up with an uneven cake.
- Bake the cakes for about 30 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 15 minutes then out of the pans on wire racks until completely cooled.
- For the cake icing, mix the crushed pineapple and instant pudding mix in a mixing bowl with a mixer.
- Then with a spatula or large spoon gently mix in the cool whip so that the whip doesn’t go flat and get runny.
- If you choose to have the coconut in the icing you’ll add that to the icing mix now as well.
- Icing your bottom layer of cake and stack the second layer on top of the first one and cover the entire cake with the cool whip icing.
- Because of the cool whip you’ll want to keep this cake refrigerated.
In search of more “man food”? Check out all of the recipes from the Man food edition of Sunday Supper…
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.